Posting Date | 5 June 2012
Country | Bulgaria
Abstract | BEERECL is a credit facility offered by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), the Bulgarian Government and the European Union, which offers Bulgarian industrial companies the support they need to make an investment in energy efficiency or renewable energy. With the help of BEERECL this large Sofia-based bakery introduced a new production line, which improved its production process. This resulted in increased efficiency, improved product quality and reduced operating and repair costs. The bakery now saves over €130,000 per year on its energy, wage, repair and maintenance costs
- Reduce energy consumption
- Switch from electricity to natural gas
- Improve the efficiency and quality of the production process
- Increase production capacity.
- A new production line utilising up-to-date technology was introduced
- € 660,000
- Payback period: 5.06 years
- Internal Rate of Return (IRR): 22.51%.
- Energy costs reduced by 63.9% or € 68,000 per year
- An annual reduction in the wage-bill of € 44,000
- A reduction in repair and maintenance costs by € 22,000 per year
- Production of larger volumes of higher quality bread
- A reduction of emissions by 14,000 tonnes of CO2 from 2005 through 2012.
Lessons learnt | The energy audit of this large Sofia-based bakery found that the bread-baking ovens consumed 98% of the bakery’s total energy use. By introducing a new production line, the production process was improved. This resulted in increased efficiency, improved product quality and reduced operating and repair costs. The bakery now saves over €130,000 per year on its energy, wage, repair and maintenance costs
Case Languages | Bulgarian , English