High quality school renovations with prefabricated wooden components - solutions, real examples and analysis through Europe
15 November 2016, 10:00 a.m. Brussels time (CET)
The webinar is focused on solutions and strategies for indoor air quality, thermal comfort and efficient ventilation systems with high level of integration in renovation projects for schools, particularly in completion to intervention for high performances building envelope and integration of renewable energy systems.
- Success examples of real frontrunner retrofits across Europe | Armin Knotzer, AEE-INTEC, coordinator of the Renew-School project
- A wide European survey on renovation needs in school - overview and results | Marc Van Praet, Municipality of Antwerp
- Do new and renovated schools and kindergartens secure sufficiently high Indoor Environmental Quality? Multifunctional prefabricated wooden components for schools energy retrofit - solutions and monitoring results | Pawel Wargocki, DTU
- High quality school renovations with prefabricated wooden components - real projects and solutions | Gerhard Kopeinig, ARCH+MORE
School buildings are places of major public interest, where our children are educated in life’s basics, in some schools beyond that, and where they spend a relevant part of their time. Therefore, not only the educational system itself, but also the conditions of these buildings are very important signals to the public, even to the pupils themselves. Schools were mostly built between the 1950s and 1980s. The school buildings are presently in high need of renovation.
Registration and participation
Participation to the webinar is free, but prior registration is required. Please register here.
RENEW-SCHOOL project videos
Italian / German
The webinar is organised in the framework of the RENEW-SCHOOL project, supported by the Intelligent Energy Europe programme, with the aim of retrofitting a great amount of school buildings to the highest Nearly Zero-Energy Buildings level, by promoting appropriate tools and measures, help to downsize the energy use significantly as well as create and secure comfortable conditions for the pupils and teachers. Sustainable school renovation actions base on following three focus points promoted by the project:
- Improvement of the building’s envelope by coating it with insulated prefabricated timber modules including wooden frame windows, solar shading and ventilation components.
- Improvement of the indoor environment quality (IEQ) by ventilating, passive cooling and daylight upgrading the classrooms.
- Improvement of the energy generation on site by using active renewable energy sources, beside the passive gains, integrated in the school buildings.
The webinar is organised in cooperation with the end-use Efficiency Research Group of the Politecnico di Milano (eERG-PoliMI).