Geothermal energy is limitless, ubiquitous and free at the point of use. When combined with the very high energy efficiency of TABS and application range of hybrid systems, it offers huge potential to meet heating and cooling needs in Europe, and reduce CO2 emissions.
GEOTABS is an innovative clean technology for energy efficient and healthy buildings which combine thermally activated building system (TABS), a ground heat exchanger and heat pump in between both systems. It has several advantages, it has proven to be one of the most comfortable ways to condition indoor spaces, especially multi-storey offices.
hybridGEOTABS is an active research project to optimize the predesign and operation of geothermal heat pumps (GEO-HP) and thermally activated building systems (TABS). It will design an improved, automated ‘Model Predictive Control’ (MPC) solution for testing on hybrid supply and emission systems in demonstration buildings such as offices, elderly care homes, schools and apartment blocks. By optimizing the performances and efficiency, the project will make it more economically attractive and it will increase take up and scale up of this technology in Europe.
More specifically, in four years the project will:
- develop a method of choosing appropriate components for hybrid MPC GEOTABS solutions to achieve optimal performance and grid flexibility;
- develop a Smart Grid-ready automated control system based on MPC and provide this as an open source solution;
- establish a trade body or association to promote the hybrid GEOTABS concept and best practices;
- validate the technology and approach on a virtual validation test-bed and on at least three real, high-visibility buildings;
- improve the efficiency of heating and cooling of a hybrid MPC GEOTABS system by 25% compared to the existing best practice.
Additional information is available at the project website www.hybridgeotabs.eu