According to the national roadmap developed under the "Build Up Skills, Pillar I" initiative, there is a need to train at least 4.500 workers/installers for 13 different skills until 2020 (Buildings and Renewable Energy Sources-RES- technologies) in order to achieve the EU2020 targets of Cyprus.
The "WE-Qualify" project will facilitate the target of reducing the skills gap by 2020 by developing a training and/or qualification scheme for blue-collar workers/installers that will focus on the most critical skills identified in the national roadmap. The outcomes of WE-Qualify are expected to provide the key components for the upgrading of existing or drafting of new Standards of Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) to be included in the future National Qualification Framework (NQF), an appropriate training methodology and a transparent and clearly defined qualification route. The ambition is to configure a competent workforce specialised on the Energy Performance of Buildings according to European criteria and standards, to encourage a greater number of blue-collar workers to advance their professional skills and knowledge and to help achieve the target for the construction of near zero energy buildings by 2020.
Results of WE-Qualify include:
- an operational qualification scheme for the workforce on the energy efficiency building sector and theoretical and practical training for the blue-collar workers and the trainers for three skills;
- acknowledged quality standards, professional frameworks and training methodology - taking into account essential national adaptations and legislation;
- all stakeholders’ groups to be informed through dissemination and National Consulting Committee (NCC) and qualification documentation presented to policy/decision makers in Cyprus;
- Increase the awareness of the enterprises (20 stakeholders) and workers (1000 persons) towards the energy targets and the need for continually improving their skills to address these targets;
- 5 pilot training courses implemented with at least 25 participants improving their skills to address these targets (target at least 125 people to be trained and target 100 to be qualified) 3 training courses to train the trainers (target six (6) trainers to be trained) Development of 3 National Qualification Schemes (NQF).
To find out more please visit: http://www.cea.org.cy/we_qualify/.