Passive-On project is about the adaptation of the Passivhaus concept to warm climates (with the inclusion of explicit specification of summer comfort targets and cooling energy need limits, inclusion of shading, night ventilation and other summer comfort technologies) has been undertaken in the passive-on project coordinated by eERG-PoliMI - the end-use Efficiency Research Group of the Politecnico di Milano.
Passive-On aimed to build on the success of the Passivhaus concept by spreading the good word –and appropriate practice- towards southern and more moderate climates of Europe. A Passivhaus-compliant home consumes 80% less energy than one built to standard regulations, removing the need for conventional heating systems. The experience gained from building thousands of homes of this type in central Europe was passed on by creating guidelines and software tools for developers. Decision-makers and public bodies also benefited from strategies put together specifically for warmer climates, where the project has shown that it is not always necessary to use advanced technological solutions to build homes of high energy performance in these climatic regimes.
The tools on the Passive-On CD developed within the context of the Passive-On project can be downloaded from the Passive-On web site.
The tools include five products of the EIE Passive-On project:
1. The Passivhaus Standard in European Warm Climates – Design Guidelines for comfortable low energy homes. Guidance for building homes conforming to the Passivhaus standard for architects and engineers;
2. Towards passive homes - Mechanisms to support the development of the passive house market. A review of existing policies and proposals to speed up the diffusion of low energy homes in partner countries;
3. Passive-On Training Module. Power point presentation and accompanying manual for promoters of low energy homes;
4. Passive House Planning Package 2007 – Demo Version. The PHHP software with reduced functionality including cooling load and cooling energy calculations;
5. Passive-On Long Description. A 5 page overview of the Passive-On project and its results.
Most products except the PHPP software and the Training Module are also translated to some degree into French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.