A major new Coalition for Higher Ambition, supported by the European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (eceee), is calling on EU leaders to act on the Paris Agreement and ensure that EU climate policies are coherent with its goals. The Coalition is backed by businesses, cities, trade unions and Non Governmental Oragisations (NGOs). The new informal Coalition is an unprecedented gathering of stakeholders standing together to influence Heads of State and Ministers ahead of the EU Environment Council of 4 March and the European Council of 17-18 March 2016.
On 1 March 2016, the Coalition released a statement urging the EU to ensure that its delivery of the Paris Agreement is set in motion in such a way that will help planning, investing and collectively setting the EU on the right path in order to make the transition to a low emission and climate resilient economy inevitable, irreversible and irresistible. More specifically, the Coalition calls on EU leaders to:
- Ensure that Europe's ambition is consistent with the Paris Agreement and that it has a clear pathway set to 2050, which is at the upper end of the 80-95% range.
- Guarantee that 2030 and 2050 greenhouse gas reductions targets are in line with the science, the well below 2 degrees and 1.5 degree long term goals, building on the over achievement of the EU’s 2020 emissions reductions target.
- Address the “at least’’ 40% domestic greenhouse gas emissions reduction target for 2030 (taking into consideration current progress). This will strengthen the EU’s strategy towards a low-carbon economy if underpinned by consistent and coherent binding targets and measures to support the deployment of low carbon technologies, especially energy efficiency and renewable energy.
- Ensure that upcoming climate and energy legislation is aligned with delivering a growing, low-carbon, sustainable, socially fair and climate resilient Europe.
- Work closely with businesses, cities, regions, investors, civil society groups and trade unions who have shown their commitment to transform the Paris Agreement into reality.
For further information, please see the relevant eceee press release.