Educational buildings dating from 1959. A thermal renovation was undertaken by implementing a prefabricated wooden panel frame for external insulation. The insulation, rainscreen, joinery and part of the external coating were assembled before the installation of a wooden panel frame. Interior mechanical ventilation was also installed.
Important notes and achievements of the project:
- Reform intervention in an occupied high school. Construction with loud work (high sound level) was concentrated during school holidays
- Rapid execution: 6000 m² of floor area renovated in 10 months
- Air permeability of the building has been lowered (divided by three)
- Heat demand of the building has been lowered (divided by three)
- Summer discomfort reduced
- Improvement of visual and acoustic comfort.
The project owner is the Brittany Region, which has set up an Eco-repository/building system (Eco-référentiel des Lycées) for schools which gives a general framework of sustainable development.
In this particular project the objectives were:
- the reduction of buildings' energy needs (class B and - 40% of primary energy consumption)
- indoor air quality (low emission paintings and installation of mechanical ventilation )
- reducing the carbon footprint through the use of wood
Original source Construction21 (C21)