This brochure from the European Commission gives a brief overview of the ecodesign methodology by looking into the ecodesign of energy-related products as well as the objectives and contents of the Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC and its implementing regulations.
More than 80% of the environmental impact of a product is determined at the design stage. The Ecodesign Directive provides a coherent and integrated framework which allows setting mandatory ecodesign requirements for some products.
For instance, the Ecodesign Regulation on standby requires that many domestic electrical and electronic products such as washing machines, TV or personal computers do not consume more than 0.5W in off mode as of 2013. These measures can lead to a positive influence in the energy efficiency of your home.
Other examples of possible questions with answers:
- How ecodesign can help the environment by making products smarter?
- What are the benefits for European citizens and industry?
- Which products are covered by the Ecodesign Directive?
- What type of product requirements can be set at EU level?
- How are mandatory product requirements decided?
- What are the next steps?
For more information on the Ecodesign Methodology, please see the EC website GROWTH /growth/industry/sustainability: http://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/sustainability/ecodesign/index_en.htm