The IDEAL EPBD research project was a three-year programme (2008-2011) that combined a variety of scientific disciplines and methods to get insight into factors that influence homeowners’ decisionmaking with respect to home purchase and home renovations.
The project’s findings and policy recommendations presented in this report are based on:
• an extensive literature research,
• interviews with stakeholders involved in the implementation of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) on national levels,
• in-depth interviews with homeowners in ten EU countries (five interviews in Denmark, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom; and 23-24 interviews in Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Latvia and Portugal),
• a survey among homeowners in five EU countries (Denmark, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom),
• expert workshops on national and international levels.