The EU-funded ADAPTIWALL project (Multi-functional light-weight WALL panel based on ADAPTive Insulation and nanomaterials for energy efficient buildings) focuses on developing a multifunctional and climate adaptive lightweight prefab panel suitable for cost-efficient, rapid and energy efficient retrofitting of facades and eventually also suitable for roofing, inner walls or entirely new buildings.
The novel panel consists of 3 elements:
- Lightweight concrete with nanoadditives for efficient thermal storage and load bearing capacity
- Adaptable polymer materials for switchable thermal resistance
- Total heat exchanger with nanostructured membrane for temperature, moisture and anti-bacterial control
The project's objectives are to:
- reduce heating and cooling demands with 50% to over 80% compared to current highly insulating solutions;
- drastically reduce (> 75%) and eventually eliminate auxiliary heat recovery and ventilation installations;
- reduce envelope thickness by at least 30% and weight by 50% to save space and reduce dead load;
- fulfil the load bearing, fire safety and sound insulation functions in one single product.
Project duration: 2013-09-01 to 2017-08-31