The Horizon 2020 funded project PRODESA (Energy Efficiency Project Development For South Attica) aims to assist seven major municipalities in Athens Metropolitan Area to launch showcase energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, utilising innovative financial tools and attracting private investments.
More specifically the project’s objectives include:
- prepare and launch showcase energy efficiency and renewable projects for public buildings and street lighting in five municipalities in the Athens Metropolitan area;
- sign energy performance contracts (EPCs) with energy service companies (ESCOs);
- demonstrate financing and organisational innovation for the municipalities in Greece and produce “Data Evidence” on performance of EPCs and investments;
- adopt smart bundling of projects and new financing schemes with better distributed and balanced risks that are suitable to all parties involved. Innovative financing mechanisms, such as crowdfunding, are foreseen as a supplementary financing source;
- develop a pipeline of projects in two municipalities participating in the project as replicators;
- develop a network of at least 30 municipalities willing to replicate PRODESA’s solutions and provide coaching for the development of energy efficiency project pipeline;
- support municipalities in building capacities in developing energy efficiency projects;
- aggressively campaign for the promotion and replication of energy efficiency projects in the public sector via investments mainly using private funds.
To achieve its objectives, the project focuses on optimal bundling of the fragmented municipal projects to achieve considerable size, reasonable payback time and risk diversification. In addition, during the project the pooling of resources will be used to optimise financial results for all parties and to ensure high participation of ESCOs in the tenders.
To find out more visit the project's website at the link provided below.
Project duration: 2017-05-01 to 2020-04-30