REnewabLe energies for tourist ACcommodation buildingS
IEE RELACS has involved partners from 10 countries and aimed at encouraging accommodations throughout Europe to implement renewable measures and energy efficiency practices in their premises. 212 accommodations joined the RELACS network, 95 energy audits have been carried out and 58 feasibility studies were completed.
In order to stimulate accommodation buildings to invest in energy efficiency and renewables, the project has developed a number of capacity building activities for hotel managers and staff throughout Europe. In addition to the main results, further assistance and "green" marketing consulting have been widely provided to the network members, 5 study tours for hotel managers at EU level successfully took place and many others were also held at local level.
- 212 RELACS network members throughout Europe;
- 94 energy audits in accommodation buildings have been carried out;
- 58 feasibility studies have been finalised;
- More than 1000 hotel managers and staff involved in the 72 training seminars/events held;
- 51 accommodations having implemented/started up an energy efficiency process thanks to the project.
- Stress more strongly the link between energy efficiency costs reduction, business, profits and competitiveness, in order to approach and motivate accommodations to join the network and to implement RES/RUE measures.
- More capacity building (seminars, trainings). Focus on local study tours first as a primary way to approach accommodations and deliver training on energy issues to hotel managers or staff, possibly within their own already existing mandatory training programmes.
- There seems to be some suspicion and lack of initiative when free services are delivered and therefore in the future it is recommended to introduce a -even small- fee for the offered services (especially for energy audits and feasibility studies). Deep work on innovative financial schemes with ESCOs and Banks in order to ease RES/RUE investments
Project duration: May 2010 to April 2013.