DR-BOB project aim is to demonstrate the economic and environmental benefits of demand response in blocks of buildings for the different key actors required to bring it to market.
To achieve its targets, DR-BOB project aims to:
- Integrate existing technologies to form the DR-BOB Demand Response Energy Management solution for blocks-of-buildings with a potential ROI of 5 years or less.
- Demonstrate the DR-BOB integrated solution at 4 sites operating under different energy market and climatic conditions in the UK, France, Italy and Romania with blocks-of-buildings covering a total of 274,665 m2 and a total of 47,600 occupants over a period of at least 12 months.
- Realise up to 11% saving in energy demand, up to 35% saving in electricity demand and a 30% reduction in the difference between peak power demand and minimum night time demand for building owners and facilities managers at the demonstration.
- Provide and validate a method of assessing at least 3 levels of technology readiness -- 1-no capability, 2-some capability, 3-full capability -- related to the technologies required for consumers’ facilities managers, buildings and the local energy infrastructure to participate in the Demand Response Energy Management solution at any given site.
- Identify revenue sources with at least a 5% profit margin to underpin business models for each of the different types of stakeholders required to bring demand response in the blocks-of-buildings to market in different local and national contexts.
- Engage with at least 2,000 companies involved in the supply chain for demand response in blocks of buildings across the EU to disseminate the projects goals and findings.
The DR-BOB Demand Response Energy Management Solution
The DR-BOB Demand Response Energy Management solution optimises the local energy production, consumption and storage in real time. It can maximise economic profit or minimise CO2 emissions according to user requirements. It is smart and can automatically adapt to current energy demand/ supply, dynamic price tariffs and weather conditions.
The DR-BOB solution combines tools and technologies to provide an innovative scalable cloud based central management system with a local real-time energy management that communicates with each building management and generation / storage solutions in blocks of buildings. The key technologies in the solution are:
- A Demand Response Manager – Siemens DEMS®
- A Local Energy Manager (LEM) –Teesside University IDEAS project Product
- A Consumer Portal – GridPocket EcoTroks™
The DR-BOB solution provides control at different scales. From the control of multiple blocks of buildings to the control of the energy systems at the building level.
DR-BOB utilises existing standards like IEC60870-5-104 and OpenADR. The architecture that enables new adaptors to be added to support new standards in the future. This allows access to most generation, storage and load assets.
The DR-BOB solution provides open connectivity to both SCADA/utility communications and customer side AMIs. It can optimise supply side and demand response between blocks of buildings and other infrastructures, with automatic distribution of results via Building Management Systems. This simplifies commercial customer or resident participation in demand response.
The DR-BOB Collaborative Project (Grant Agreement No. 696114) is co-funded by the European Commission, Information Society and Media Directorate-General, under the Horizon 2020 Programme (H2020).