This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement No 824433.
INSULAE will contribute to the Clean Energy for EU Islands Initiative by providing an Investment Planning Tool (IPT) able to create action plans for the islands to generate their own sustainable and low-cost energy.
Scaling up renewables, energy efficiency, storage and clean transport, are the key challenges that can lead to a more stable supply of cheaper and cleaner energy, as well as to an island energy self-sufficiency and security of supply, while contributing to the fight against climate change.
In addition, investments on clean energy can benefit local population, create local jobs and growth, encourage tourism and better preserve the environment.
Overall, the decarbonisation of the islands will increase both their resilience and economic viability and thus will bring significant benefits including climate change mitigation and adaptation, a decrease in the trade balance deficit, less exposure to volatile fuel prices, more self-reliant electricity supply, lower environmental risks associated to fossil fuels imports as well as multiplier effects through lessons learned at local level, in the region and internationally.
The main goal of INSULAE is to foster the deployment of innovative solutions aiming to the EU islands decarbonization by developing and demonstrating at three Lighthouse Islands a set of interventions linked to seven replicable use cases, whose results will validate an Investment Planning Tool that will be then demonstrated at four Follower Islands for the development of four associated Action Plans.
INSULAE project is composed by a puzzle of seven pieces:
- 1. Investment Planning Tool
- 2. Lighthouse Islands Interventions
- 3. Follower Islands
- 4. Digitalization and ICT deployment
- 5. Attractive business models supporting the Use cases and Actions Plans
- 6. Social involvement and regulatory framework
- 7. Environment protection
- FUNDACION CIRCE CENTRO DE INVESTIGACION DE RECURSOS Y CONSUMOS ENERGETICOS
- RINA CONSULTING SPA
- ETHNIKO KENTRO EREVNAS KAI TECHNOLOGIKIS ANAPTYXIS
- SUITE5 DATA INTELLIGENCE SOLUTIONS LIMITED
- DNV GL NETHERLANDS B.V.
- AALBORG UNIVERSITET
- WWF ADRIA -UDRUGA ZA ZASTITU PRIRODE I OCUVANJE BIOLOSKE RAZNOLIKOSTI
- DIKTYO AEIFORIKON NISON TOY AIGAIOU AE
- SVEUCILISTE U ZAGREBU, FAKULTET STROJARSTVA I BRODOGRADNJE
- ERICSSON NIKOLA TESLA D.D.
- VODOOPSKRBA I ODVODNJA CRES LOSINJDOO
- REGIONALNA ENERGETSKA AGENCIJA KVARNER
- DANMARKS TEKNISKE UNIVERSITET
- BORNHOLMS ENERGI OG FORSYNING AS
- BORNHOLMS REGIONSKOMMUNE
- FREMSYN APS
- EEM EMPRESA DE ELECTRICIDADE DA MADEIRA SA
- EFACEC ELECTRIC MOBILITY, SA
- ALBUFERA ENERGY STORAGE SL
- ASSOCIACAO COMERCIAL E INDUSTRIAL DO FUNCHAL - CAMARA DE COMERCIO E INDUSTRIA DA MADEIRA
- ANONIMI ETAIRIA DIAXEIRISIS ANANEOSIMON PIGON ENERGEIAS
- DIMOS PSARON
- STEINBEIS INNOVATION GGMBH
- STADTWERKE NORDERNEY GMBH
- CONSELL INSULAR DE MENORCA
- COPPET MARYSE
Start date: 1/04/2019 - End date: 31/03/2023