Day: 9 March 2021
Time slot: 11.00 – 12.30 CEST
Moderator: Alessio Rimoldi – BIBM
Around 400 million tons of construction and demolition waste, excluding excavation materials, are yearly generated and then mostly landfilled in EU.
On the other hand, concrete is the most widely used material in building, with a growing trend towards prefabrication.
VEEP has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No: 723582 on 1 October 2016 to develop and demonstrate a series of technological solutions for the massive retrofitting of our built environment, aiming at cost-effectively reducing building energy consumption.
After 4 years, VEEP ends on 31 March 2021 and it is now time for the Project Consortium, coordinated by RINA and made up of 15 partners from 7 EU countries, to transfer their knowledge to the market.
In fact, VEEP managed to develop the following innovative construction materials:
- A greener and more resistant Silica Aerogel, which is one of the best material for the insulation application
- New and green concrete formulations
- Two novel multilayer Precast Concrete Elements (PCEs) through the smart combination of VEEP concrete, aerogel composites and innovative plastic formworks
Moreover, VEEP implemented an Advanced Drying Recovery (ADR), which is a mechanical system of sorting and classifying wet Construction and Demolition Waste particles according to their particle size.
The system requires seven working days to dismantle and assemble it again, so a new design to fit the truck and to reduce the assembling/disassembling from 7 days to 1 day has been achieved within VEEP.
Also a novel HAS, which is a technology designed to further expose the fine fraction aggregates into a hot gas so as to remove the associated moisture of aggregates and also destroy undesirable Construction and Demolition Waste contaminants pilot plant (3ton/hour) has been developed.
The HAS technology has shown to improve quality properties of the ultrafine recycled particles in an important way for its application as an addition in new green cements.
Would you like hear and discover first-hand all our results?
Would you like to know how to transfer all the knowledge acquired in the framework of our project to the market?
Are you interested in creating a network with all stakeholders for further dissemination and coordinate with other research institutions involved in similar projects?
Watch the webinar: “Shaping a circular future for the construction sector: the experience of VEEP and other H2020 projects promoting circular economy for buildings” co-organised with the “European Portal for Energy Efficiency in Building – EU Build Up” which took place the 9th March 2020.
11.00 - 11.50 HOW VEEP SHAPES A CIRCULAR FUTURE FOR THE CONSTRUCTION SECTOR CONCLUSIONS
- Webinar introduction by EU Build Up Team
- VEEP in a nutshell by Project Coordinator Anna Paraboschi (RINA)
- VEEP Innovative ADR + HAS Technologies: an Interview to Francesco Di Maio (Delft University of Technology)
- VEEP Sustainable Concrete: an interview to Jaime Moreno (Fundacion Tecnalia Research & Innovation)
- VEEP Green Aerogel: an interview to Francisco Ruiz (Keey Aerogel)
- VEEP Innovative Products (formworks, smart connectors and panels): an interview to Giorgia Eranio (STAM SRL)
- A virtual showcase of VEEP mock-ups
- VEEP LCA: An interview to Mingming Hu and Chunbo Zhang (CML)
11.50 - 12.00 CLUSTERING SESSION
- ICEBERG PROJECT - David Garcia Estevez - ICEBERG Project Coordinator (TECNALIA)
- Seramco PROJECT - Christian Glock - Seramco Project Coordinator - (Technische Universität Kaiserslautern)
12.00 - 12.20 Q & A
12.20 - 12.30 CONCLUSIONS