The Commission is in the process of updating some of the content on this website in light of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. If the site contains content that does not yet reflect the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, it is unintentional and will be addressed.

Are there any special requirements for public buildings?

Share this Post:

Yes. Public buildings require an energy performance certificate not older than 10 years old and the certificate shall be visible to the public in these buildings. Specifically, Article 7.3 of the Directive states that:

"Member States shall take measures to ensure that for buildings with a total useful floor area over 1 000 m2 occupied by public authorities and by institutions providing public services to a large number of persons and therefore frequently visited by these persons an energy certificate, not older than 10 years, is placed in a prominent place clearly visible to the public."

Author:   JC VISIER (CSTB)
Date:   04/04/2006