This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 792210
Deployment of novel GEOthermal systems, technologies and tools for energy efficient building retroFITting
As retrofitting is a complex and global process where decisions cannot be taken in isolation, there is an obvious need to devise an enhanced methodology, supported by an appropriate suite of tools, encompassing new concepts for comprehensive retrofitting that will satisfy occupant requirements and comfort needs while also achieving substantial reductions in energy use. Another specificity of GEOFIT is its strong focus on the demonstration of innovative geothermal based retrofitting solutions as real cases approaching net zero energy standards, thanks to three scalable and strategically selected demo sites (for the future exploitation of associated project end users), targeting the reduction of at least 60 % in energy consumption compared to the values before retrofitting while ensuring affordability and target a ROI between 5-6 years. These 5 pilot sites are respectively located in Spain, Italy, France and Ireland (2) representing different representative scenarios namely :(1) Geothermal based retrofitting in urban areas (2) Rock Drilling (3) Historical buildings with seismic risk (seismic retrofitting).
Therefore, GEOFIT has the following macro-level objectives:
- The development of innovative EGS, systems, specifically developed for geothermal based retrofitting, including the optimization and integration of the EGS’ components: novel heat exchangers concepts, cost effective heat pump, a set of novel- LTH and HTH- heating and cooling components and advanced IT control and monitoring technologies. These will be integrated to ensuring the maximum use of RES and energy efficient HVAC operation at building level.
- Deploy and integrate advanced methods of worksite inspection, ground research, building structural monitoring, TRT drilling and worksite characterization into advanced geothermal based retrofitting methods based on multi-stakeholder and collaborative approach based mainly on IDP (integrated delivery project) and IDDS (integrated design and delivery solutions) methods.
- The implementation of a global, effective, energy-efficient retrofitting strategy for the stock of existing buildings in Europe – targeting a ROI between 5 to 6 years boosting the adoption of appropriate geothermal based energy-efficient building retrofitting technologies and methods.
More precisely, the specific technical objectives of the project are:
- To develop a complete set of geothermal retrofitting project management tool-chains in the different areas: (1) Retrofitting operations and integrated management framework (2) ICT Tools for ground research and worksite monitoring (3) BIM enabled methods and tools for geothermal based retrofitting
- To develop technology components and techniques for easy to install and cost-effective enhanced geothermal systems by (1) improving and adapting a suite of drilling techniques, (2) developing cost-efficient heat pump systems which are optimized for the use of geothermal heat and retrofit applications; and (3) optimizing the installation of heating and cooling solutions for energy-efficient building retrofitting.
- To enable the full utilization of the EGS in retrofitted buildings by unlocking flexibility services by the implementation of ICT based control systems and Building energy management systems (BEMS).
- To demonstrate the GEOFIT’s EGS, technologies and tools, and deploy GEOFIT’s IDDS framework into the retrofitting operations in 5 Pilot buildings, 4 different climate zones and 3 different retrofitting scenarios, in brief (1) Urban retrofitting (2) Retrofitting with rock drilling scenario (3) seismic retrofitting in historical buildings
- To use project activities as a vehicle to attain the maximum post-project uptake of the GEOFIT project foreground and its impact on the widest possible audience of EU workers and contractors, construction professionals and the general public.
- IDP INGENIERIA Y ARQUITECTURA IBERIA SL
- COMSA CORPORACION DE INFRAESTRUCTURAS SL
- CONSIGLIO NAZIONALE DELLE RICERCHE
- AJUNTAMIENTO DE SANT CUGAT DEL VALLES
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI PERUGIA
- IDS GEORADAR SRL
- OCHSNER WARMEPUMPEN GMBH
- NOBATEK INEF 4
- AIT AUSTRIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY GMBH
- CATALANA DE PERFORACIONS SA
- UPONOR OYJ
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND GALWAY
- FAHRENHEIT GMBH
- LULEA TEKNISKA UNIVERSITET
- GROENHOLLAND GEO ENERGIESYSTEMEN BV
- KUNGLIGA TEKNISKA HOEGSKOLAN
- FUNDACIO EURECAT
- COMET GESINCO SL
- SIART - SISTEMI INFORMATIVI ANALISI RISCHIO TERRITORIALE S.R.L.
- COMHARCHUMANN FUINNIMH OILEAIN ARANN TEORANTA
- CAREL INDUSTRIES SPA
- ASOCIACION ESPANOLA DE NORMALIZACION
- I. LECO
- COMSA INSTALACIONES Y SISTEMAS INDUSTRIALES SA
Start date: 1/05/2018 - End date: 30/03/2022