The Switch2Save Architectural Design Competition aims to collect design concepts of non- residential buildings (new or renovation projects), featuring glass facades, roofs, or large window to wall areas, in any climatic context. The challenge is to present a design concept in which there is an optimum exploitation of the Switch2Save EC/TC smart functionalities, supported by a clear energy saving concept towards meeting the EU energy saving targets for buildings, while considering occupants’ comfort and wellbeing. The successful aesthetic integration of the IGUs will also be evaluated, as well as the replication potential of the design approach.
The S2S architectural design competition focuses on non-residential uses. There is no other restriction regarding the size, location or use of the proposed building concept.
- The Switch2Save Architectural Design Competition is an open competition developed in one phase. No financial contribution is requested from participants.
- The competition is open to young architects (max 10 years)/students and/or multi-disciplinary teams (building physicists, engineers) led by young architects/ architectural students enrolled in an academic programme (bachelor, master etc.) from an accredited educational institution.
- There is a limit of 3 members per team of which min.1 should be an architectural student or young architect.
- Individual under-graduate or post graduate architectural students can participate.
- The competition is open to all nationalities. However, the team members should be based in an EU or an associated country.
- 1st prize: 1000 euros, 2nd prize: 500 euros.
- For each of the 2 awardees, a demo kit of a fully functional energy smart EC/TC window.
- Digital certificate for competition participants.
- Possibility to offer internship in NTUA Laboratory of Heterogeneous Mixtures and Combustion Systems.
- Possibility to present the winning projects during prize ceremony.
- Featuring article/interview in Switch2Save newsletter.
- EU wide exposure through Switch2Save dissemination channels.
- Brief description (detailed in Competition Brief Template)
- One infographic (presenting the proposed design in response to the competition brief)
- Other visual material merged in one pdf file. The pdf max size is 30MB.
- All documents should contain the necessary information in English.
- 20 October 2022: Competition launch
- 31 January 2023: Deadline for registrations
- 28 February 2023: Deadline for questions
- 31 March 2023: Deadline for submissions
- May 2023: Announcement of winners
How to apply
- Read Architectural Design Competition Terms & Condition.
- Register your team by 31/1/2023 at following link: https://switch2save.eu/registration-for-participation-in-switch2save-architectural-design-competition/
- Submit your full pdf file by 31/3/2023 (through a specific link sent to you after registration). The pdf file (max 30 MB) should contain Brief description (see Competition Brief Template), Infographic (presenting the proposed design in response to the competition brief), Other visual material, Declaration of Authorship and Acceptance of Competition regulations.
- Wait for the final results to be published by May 2023.
For any questions related to the competition, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.