AMANAC (Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology Cluster) aims to create an effective and long lasting collaboration and coordination platform within the Energy-efficient Buildings Public Private Partnership (EeB PPP) Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology projects, whose activities address development of (nano)materials, components and systems for the improvement of energy efficiency in buildings. The Coordination and support action (CSA) aims to maximise the impact of the participating projects towards the European Industry and Society and support the objectives established by the EC and the EeB-PPP, by addressing in a holistic way the relevant technical/technological, industrial, economic, societal, organisational and regulatory challenges.
AMANAC exploits experience gained through clustering of Nanotechnology-EeB projects and extends the scope to include running FP7 and future H2020 projects of the Advanced Materials domain. It currently represents 255 projects (63% are Large Enterprises or SMEs) and broadens their field of activities in a self-sustaining way.
The Core Objectives and the resulting Action Plan develop around four pillars:
- Collaboration Activities aiming to support the achievement of Cluster-project technical and non-technical goals; enhance the impact of such developments during and beyond the project life-time.
- Awareness-raising and Networking: Increase the visibility and impact of the Cluster projects and their related research achievements towards industry, construction stakeholders and relevant EU contractual bodies, such as the European Construction Technology Platform (ECTP), the E2B Association (E2BA), European Council for Construction Research, Development and Innovation (ECCREDI) etc., establishing appropriate network and alliances with such organisations.
- Exploitation: Strengthen the role of involved industrial partners, especially SMEs, for speeding up the exploitation of the research results coming from the Cluster projects. Support the identification of new technology and market needs and trends.
- Coordination and Support services: Create Cluster committees and bodies and publicity material to ensure continuation of activities after the end of the CSA and will attract future H2020 projects.
The six thematic areas of the AMANAC Cluster Projects include:
- Insulation Materials. Refers to superinsulating materials (Aerogels & Vacuum Insulation Panels - VIP) and their application in the development of construction components and also includes “HVAC” projects that refer to Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning systems relying on the technology of indoor and vehicular environmental comfort
- Embodied Energy. Focuses on using low embodied energy construction materials so that the total energy use of a building can be reduced.
- Smart Windows.
- Lightweight Components. Refers to nanotechnologies for multifunctional lightweight construction materials and components
- Indoor Environment. Refers to nanotechnologies to deliver improved indoor air quality (IAQ), and more broadly better indoor environmental quality (IEQ), in energy efficient buildings
- Pilot Production.