Financed by the Horizon Europe research and innovation programme, the project BEEYONDERS – Breakthrough European tEchnologies Yielding cOnstruction sovereigNty, Diversity & Efficiency of ResourceS – aims at improving efficiency, safety, and quality in the construction sector while reducing the environmental impact of building sites.
To date, the European construction sector is facing challenges which are hampering its competitiveness. These include:
- Labour shortage.
- Lack of digital skills in some countries.
- Lack of motivation on the part of young people to work in the sector.
- Issues linked to gender equality.
- Need to improve the safety and well-being of construction workers of any age and gender.
- Need to achieve greater resource efficiency and reduction of embodied and wasted CO2 based on a circular economy.
- Need to increase productivity while improving quality, cost efficiency and project delivery.
In this respect, Japan can be an inspiration for a necessary paradigm shift. Faced with similar problems, the Japanese construction sector has become leader in research investment in AI and Robotics since early 2010. Much innovation has now been achieved in automated machinery, tele-operated or autonomous robots, real time construction site mapping with drones and collaborative robots and smart systems.
BEEYONDERS’ core ambition is to address these challenges by producing, commercializing and integrating beyond the state-of-the art solutions into real construction scenarios. To do so, the project will make extensive use of AI, automation, and digitalisation. These new technologies will both support the independence of the European construction sector from foreign technology imports and reduce its environmental impact, ultimately supporting the EU in reaching climate neutrality. The project’s specific objectives are:
- Set up the performance requirements.
- Define and set up testing protocols at TRL4 and 5, and demostration plans at TRL6.
- Develop, test and demonstrate autonomous & collaborative robotics solutions.
- Develop, test and demonstrate new environmental-friendly additive manufacturing solutions.
- Develop, test and demonstrate a digital twin with data fusion from BT and AI modules.
- Develop, implement and evaluate new worker-friendly technologies.
- Develop training and learning resources.
- Perform standarisation activities.
- Develop international cooperation with Japan.
The BEEYONDERS project aims at improving efficiency, safety, and quality in the construction sector while reducing the environmental impact of building sites. Thus, it will pave the way towards a more sustainable and competitive European construction industry. In this regard, the project will contribute with:
- Successful integration of the next pioneering technologies: autonomous vehicles and human robot collaboration, additive manufacturing, diagnostics and monitoring and autonomous maintenance.
- Demonstration of the impact of the use of these new pioneering technologies on the efficiency of resources (raw materials, water etc.), the reduction of waste and embodied CO2 emissions.
- Demonstration of the safety of the new technologie s in a construction environment, in cooperation with workers.
- Reduced dependence on imported technologies related to additive manufacturing, human robot collaboration or autonomous vehicles.
- Increase in the wellbeing of the construction workforce involved.
Funded by the European Union.