Funded by the HORIZON 2020 programme of the European Union, the aim of CITYkeys project is to develop and validate, with the aid of cities, key performance indicators and data collection procedures for the common and transparent monitoring as well as the comparability of smart city solutions across European cities.
The research institutes VTT (coordinator, Finland), AIT (Austria), and TNO (Netherlands) cooperate with five cities -Rotterdam (Netherlands), Tampere (Finland), Vienna (Austria), Zagreb (Croatia) and Zaragoza (Spain)- and EUROCITIES in order to define the needs, analyse existing results and develop recommendations for the use of performance indicators. Additional cities will also contribute to the project.
- Develop and validate a transparent performance evaluation framework, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) definition, guidelines for data collections, performance system prototype and testing in case-cities.
- Develop recommendations for the performance system's implementation in the cities decision-making process, as well as for the development of new business.
- Engage stakeholders in identifying and exploiting opportunities for synergy and replicability, and establish a collaboration platform for European cities.
The project's work methodology will be based on the following key factors:
- Extensive collaboration and communication with European cities.
- Establishment of a baseline by the analysis and integration of existing results from previous initiatives.
- Development of a set of KPIs specifically for the evaluation and comparability of Smart Cities initiatives.
- Development of smart solutions for transparent and open data collection and processing.