The goal of a resilient Energy Union with an ambitious climate policy at its core is to give European Union consumers - households and businesses - secure, sustainable, competitive and affordable energy. Achieving this goal will require a fundamental transformation of Europe's energy system.
The Energy Union strategy has five mutually-reinforcing and closely interrelated dimensions, designed to bring greater energy security, sustainability and competitiveness:
- energy security, solidarity and trust;
- a fully integrated European energy market;
- energy efficiency contributing to moderation of demand;
- decarbonising the economy, and
- research, innovation and competitiveness.
The Energy Union is one of the ten European Commission's Priorities.
For further information, please visit the relevant European Commission website: http://ec.europa.eu/priorities/energy-union/index_en.htm