Girona Provincial Council’s BEenerGi programme provides the necessary technical, legal and financial assistance for municipalities that have signed the Covenant of Mayors. The aim is to mobilise investments to promote energy efficiency in public lighting and in municipal buildings (which includes creating heating networks).
The BEenerGi programme promotes new organisational models through innovative funding systems. One of the cornerstones of the programme is reinforcing the capacities of the key stakeholders (SMEs, public administration staff, financial entities) and the ultimate beneficiaries (the municipalities). In addition, BEenerGi also provides access to data on local energy consumption and encourages the results of the programme to be shared throughout Europe so that these new schemes can be replicated in other regions.
Specific aims of the programme:
-Launch investments in sustainable energy: To accelerate public investment in energy.
- Investments in energy efficiency in public lighting in 65 municipalities, with an associated investment of €6.48 million.
- Investments in energy efficiency in 85 municipal buildings in 50 municipalities (replacing diesel/LPG boilers with biomass boilers), with an associated investment of €9.40 million and other smaller investments in energy efficiency.
-Strengthen innovative organisational models: To pool investment in sustainable energy into packs which are easier to fund and to simplify the legal and technical aspects of administrative procedures.
- Mechanisms for securing pooled investments.
- Ensure that the specific studies commissioned meet technical content requirements.
- Obtain feedback on the continuous improvement process.
- Create tendering models.
-Establish and promote a new financing system: Test the viability of new financing systems in the province of Girona through contracts with energy service companies (ESCO), micro, small and medium energy service companies (SME-MESCO), pooling small and medium investments in different municipalities in the Girona region
- Provide funding for BEenerGi projects to ensure their final implementation.
- Promote ESCO contracts in Girona’s municipalities.
- Create new financing models (contracts with small energy service companies SME-MESCO).
-Develop capacities: To train all the key stakeholders and ultimate beneficiaries (capacity-building for 180 people). The bulk of the efforts will focus on local small and medium-sized companies in the energy sector (local maintenance firms, local energy suppliers, etc.) to turn them into micro energy service companies (MESCO).
-Provide access to data on energy consumption: Making data on energy consumption in 85 municipal buildings and electricity used by public lighting in more than 65 municipalities available to all interested parties.
-Communicate and disseminate the results throughout Europe: Through potential replicators.