NOTE: The scheme is no longer available
The programme "Green Urban and Island Communities - New Model for Development" addressed communities of less than 1,000 inhabitants. The aim of the programme is the achievement of zero energy or zero emissions communities.
It provided financial support for:
- the upgrade of energy performance of buildings, both residential and public;
- the installation of RES systems (Solar Thermal, Biomass and Geothermal Heat Pumps) to meet heating and cooling demand;
- energy savings in transportation through replacement of municipal vehicles with electric ones with the use of RES;
- energy upgrade of public lighting;
- energy storage systems;
- bioclimatic interventions in open spaces;
- waste and Water management;
- electricity production from RES;
- information and dissemination activities.
The strategic goals of the programme are to stimulate local economies through environmentally sustainable practices and create a template for development that can be repeated throughout the country.
The programme budget is EUR 50 million.
For more information and related documentation, please click on the link below.