The new Horizon 2020 project “guarantEE” is promoting and further developing Energy Performance Contracting (EPC) in the building sector in 14 European countries (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain) in the years 2016-19.
The project fosters the use of EPC in both the public and the private sector across Europe by especially
- developing innovative EPC solutions for rented facilities;
- making EPC more flexible to better serve private sector clients;
- supporting EPC pilot projects with experienced facilitators.
What is Energy Performance Contracting?
Energy services such as Energy Performance Contracting (EPC) help building owners in the modernisation of their facilities. The planning, financing, implementation and maintenance of a set of technical measures are outsourced to an experienced energy service company (ESCO). The ESCO
finances all investments through future energy savings
guarantees energy and cost savings to the client
bears the financial, technical and performance risks
- Within guarantEE, 14 experienced partners will develop innovative business and financing models for performance-based ESCO projects. For rented facilities, the aim is to develop and test solutions adequately sharing costs and benefits between user, building owner and ESCO (triple-win approach).
- With a special focus on private sector building owners, EPC contract variants providing enhanced flexibility will be developed.
- Market stakeholders will be intensively involved in the analysis of current barriers and the definition of adequate contractual solutions.
- The innovative energy service models are to be tested in pilot projects, in which the building owners will receive support from experienced EPC facilitators.