This project is funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 815271
Novel building Integration Designs for increased Efficiencies in Advanced Climatically Tunable Renewable Energy Systems
The IDEAS project is creating an innovative building-integrated renewable energy system. As a result of IDEAS, it will cost less to generate electricity, heat, and cooling in multi-family buildings (such as apartments and blocks of flats). It will also be of huge benefit to owners of public and commercial buildings, from libraries and schools to offices and shops) benefitting communities across a range of climatic conditions.
IDEAS uses specially developed innovative technologies (see here for more detailed information) to collect the sun’s energy and through an intelligent distribution system to use it hyper-efficiently exactly as it needed by the people in the building.
One exciting new element of the IDEAS project is the integration of solar PV with the heat energy trapping coating into building facades – so not just the roof of the building is used to produce useable energy in the building, but the facade also.
What’s involved across the different strands of the project:
- New light collectors and geometric concentrators will maximize the amount of energy we can collect from the sun.
- Organic phase change materials (PCM) will provide heat when the building is cold and cool air when the building is too warm.
- A specially developed heat pump will make the best use of the energy collected to supply an underfloor heating and hot water system and to manage the thermal energy storage (necessary?)
- These energy components will be controlled by an intelligent and responsive data system. For residents of apartments, and public and commercial building managers, the operation of the system can be seen in real-time ensuring its smooth operation and maximum efficiency.
- IDEAS will save money by increasing energy efficiency, enhance our health by making our buildings more comfortable, and will reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- THE PROVOST, FELLOWS, FOUNDATION SCHOLARS & THE OTHER MEMBERS OF BOARD OF THE COLLEGE OF THE HOLY & UNDIVIDED TRINITY OF QUEEN ELIZABETH NEAR DUBLIN
- UNIVERSITY OF ULSTER
- ACONDICIONAMIENTO TARRASENSE ASSOCIACION
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI FERRARA
- INSTITUT MIHAJLO PUPIN
- Laboratorio Nacional de Energia e Geologia I.P.
- PHASE CHANGE MATERIAL PRODUCTS LTD
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI CAGLIARI
- MAYO COUNTY COUNCIL
- ASSOCIACAO PORTUGUESA DAS EMPRESASDO SECTOR FOTOVOLTAICO
- ENERGY CO-OPERATIVES IRELAND LIMITED
- LF FASTHOUSE
- POWER CAPITAL RENEWABLE ENERGY LTD
- APK ARCHITECTS & ENGINEERS LIMITED
Start date: 1/05/2019 - End date: 30/04/2022