ifeu conducts research and provides a worldwide consultancy service in relation to all major environmental and sustainability issues. With more than 40 years of experience, ifeu is one of the most important ecological research institutes in Germany. Our work is characterised by experience and independence combined with a practical and target-based approach. ifeu currently employs 80 staff with a background in natural sciences, engineering and social sciences at its sites in Heidelberg and Berlin.
ifeu has been undertaking environmental research and providing a consultancy service for more than 40 years. (Click here to learn more about the history of the institute)
ifeu operates at the interface between civil society developments, corporate strategies, technological perspectives, and political latitude. Our institute adopts a transdisciplinary approach in order to respond to urgent environmental and sustainability issues. The answers we provide are not found in a scientific ivory tower, but through in-depth dialogue with stakeholders from industry, science and society. ifeu deals with issues including resource conservation and recycling, the sustainable and environmentally friendly design of products, processes and material flows, biomass and nutrition, the future-oriented design of mobility and transport, and a successful energy transition.
ifeu works worldwide and on behalf of a large number of national and international clients, and primarily receives project-based funding. Around two thirds of its research projects and reports are commissioned by public authorities. One third of the contracts comes from the private sector. The institute is independent in terms of research and finance and is non-profit oriented.
What we achieve
- We work to consolidate the overall concept of sustainable development.
- We advance the level of knowledge through academic studies, models, and developments.
- We combine the development of application-based concepts with a consultancy service for politicians, associations, companies and municipalities.
- We bring innovative approaches, products, services and strategies to the market, for example through the design and implementation of pilot projects and promotional tools, and the ecological monitoring of new product developments.
- We perform environmental, sustainability, risk, and life cycle analyses in order to facilitate specific decisions, and we conduct environmental education and public relations work to help to ensure that environmental protection receives an appropriate level of attention in society.
- We chair discussions and bring together a range of social bodies. We advocate our positions and apply our expertise in scientific bodies and in standardisation processes.
- We introduce ideas and findings to an international development process, while also learning from our network of other nations and stakeholder groups.