The project has received funding from the LIFE program of the European Union under GA number LIFE19 ENV/GR/000100.
Energy efficiency and improved indoor air quality are major aspects that need to be addressed in the building construction sector. The role of materials is vital, affecting HVAC systems and indoor conditions.
LIFE VISIONS project investigates the potential of a photocatalytically active construction material as a technology for achieving better indoor air quality throughout Europe. It also represents an opportunity for the development and implementation of a new de-polluting European strategy.
Among the existing various techniques (purging with outdoor air, using ultraviolet germicidal irradiation etc.) to mitigate the problem of contamination in the indoor environment, photocatalysis, as an alternative technology, is considered to be the most safe innovative, effective, economic and promising solution.VISIONS set realistic targets for the resolution of the IAQ and energy consumption issues, using an already proven innovative photocatalytic nano-material which is able to degrade air pollutants using Visible Light, as opposed to the existing products on the market, which operate by the use of UV radiation.
The proposed technological solution will be able to reduce up to 40% of specific air pollutants (e.g. NOx, VOCs), translated to reduction on the demand for air-cleaning systems, air conditioning and other mechanical ventilation, leading to up to 10% less energy usage with a significant impact on the long-term energy demand and elimination of the overall socioeconomic costs due to the adverse health impact, caused by indoor air pollution.
Therefore, VISIONS sharing the same perspective with the signatories of the Covenant of the Mayors for Climate and Energy, constitutes of a potentially new tool for the effective reduction of indoor air polluting agents, improving citizens day-today life, while contributing to the National and EU coordinated efforts for the promotion of GREEN DEVELOPMENT technologies for less energy consumption.
The main objectives of the project are the following:
- Optimization and Upscaling of a novel pho-tocatalytic material (VISIONS Photo-Powder)
- Semi-industrial production of innovative pho-tocatalytic paints (Photo-Paints) by incorporat-ing the VISIONS Photo-Powder in various types of paints for real scale applications.
- Real scale application of three innovative Photo-Paints in a set of existing Demo-Houses prototype demonstrator at the Hellenic Naval Academy Buildings.
- Assessment of the effectiveness of the Pho-to-Paint for large scale applications through the application of a state of the art numerical modelling (CFD) for different scenarios for the application of the proposed covering technology.
- Development of performance indicators for evaluation of the photocatalytic efficiency
- Development of a sophisticated Decision Sup-port System (DSS).The System will serve as a multicriteria support tool towards studying the efficiency of the proposed solutions, processes and methods in future applications. It will be based on the outcomes of the photocatalytic activity, the Cost Efficiency Analysis (CEA), the Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) and the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
- Establishment of a start-up (or spin-off) company that will undertake the exploitation and promotion of VISIONS technologies and products (Photo-Paints & DSS).