The operational programme "Environment and Sustainable Development" involves Community support through the ERDF for eight Greek regions under the "Convergence" objective ("phasing out" regions are not included), and through the Cohesion Fund which intervenes all over the country including the "phasing out" and "phasing in" areas. It will contribute to economic growth through a more efficient use of resources, such as re-use, recycling and recovery of waste. The programme will support interventions which, in addition to the investments in the sectors of energy and transport to be covered by other national programmes, will contribute to combating climate change.
The programme was approved on 5 November 2007 by the European Commission and involves the period of 2007-2013.
The total budget of the programme is EUR 2.250 million. The Community investment amounts to EUR 220 million through the ERDF and to EUR 1.580 million through the Cohesion Fund.
A. COHESION FUND
The "Environment and Sustainable Development" programme defines Eleven priorities, Five (5) of which fall under the Cohesion Fund and six (6) under the ERDF. In particular:
- Priority 1: Air & rural transports, climate change, renewable energy sources (RES)
- Priority 2: Protection & management of water resources
- Priority 3: Prevention of environmental risks
- Priority 4: Solid waste & protection of soil
- Priority 5: Technical assistance
B. EUROPEAN REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUND
- Priority 6: Air and climate change
- Priority 7: Water resources management
- Priority 8: prevention of environmental risks
- Priority 9: Nature protection and biodiversity
- Priority 10: Institutions
- Priority 11: Technical Assistance.
Energy efficiency and energy conservation in buildings as well as the promotion of RES and the support of the autonomy and security of supply by the use of RES is addressed by calls under Priority 1 of the Cohesion Fund.
To find out more please visit the programme's official website at the link provided below.