This scheme is now closed.
The support scheme for Solar Water Heaters and Solar Water Collectors (SWH / SWC) was one of the many schemes that the Malta Resources Authority (MRA) administered to promote energy efficiency and renewable energy.
The deadline for applications was the 31st of December 2012.
Incentives of the MRA were partly funded under the European Regional Development Fund – Cohesion Policy 2007-2013 and/or from national funds.
In order to encourage the use of renewable sources of energy for domestic use, two Incentive Schemes, subject to different conditions, were launched:
1. NATIONAL SCHEME
The National Scheme provided a grant of 40% up to €400.
No social criteria restrictions applied.
2. ERDF SCHEME
The ERDF scheme provided a grant of 40% up to €560.
The applicant should fulfil the following social criteria:
- a household must be in receipt of the energy voucher;
- a household must be in receipt of the children’s allowance (defined in Article 2 of the Social Security Act ) for household’s whose income is less than Euro 23,932;
- a household who has purchased a property as its ‘sole ordinary residence’ after 1st January 2010 (The value of the property must be less than Euro 120,000 and the electricity and water bill must be in the name of the applicant);
- a household in receipt of supplementary allowance in accordance with the Social Security Act.
The application for any of the two schemes was made by the householder and the contractual arrangements were between the householder and the Malta Resources Authority.
The application form was divided in two parts:
- Part A: personal details and details of the retailer. Had to be completed and submitted to the Malta Resources Authority prior to the purchase and installation of the equipment.
- Part B: completed once the system had been installed and commissioned. Had to be submitted to the Malta Resources Authority when the equipment was installed.
Part A would be processed, and available funds would be allocated, in accordance with the Government Notice published by the MRA. Due to limited amount of funds for the scheme, applications were processed on a first-in first-out basis. Even if all eligibility criteria were met the success of an application was not guaranteed.
More technical and application information for both the applicant and the retailer are available at the Malta Resources Authority (MRA) website.