ZEMedS is a 3 years project (2013-2016) co-funded by the European Commission within the Intelligent Energy Europe Programme (IEE) that promotes renovation of schools in a Mediterranean climate to become nearly Zero-Energy Buildings (nZEB). There are several barriers that hinder school building renovation from achieving nZEB levels in Mediterranean climates, ZEMedS is tackling the following two specific barriers:
- Insufficient knowledge about existing technologies that can be used to renovate buildings up to NZEB in the Mediterranean climate
- Inefficient tools for the public sector to achieve nZEB renovation
In addition, Mediterranean zones are characterized by high diversity climatic conditions (on the coast, with high population density, winters are mild and summers are relatively hot and humid, while inner areas are generally drier and less temperate) so they need a specific approach, different from that used for colder climates.
For this reason, ZEMedS actions are mainly addressed to involve and commit 2 target groups, school policy makers and building designers, by providing technical and financial assistance on nZEB renovation of schools in Mediterranean climates, and giving support in succeeding in implementing school renovation with nZEB goals.
In order to be successful, ZEMedS main outputs include:
- Development of high quality technical & financial toolkits
- Development of 10 case studies
- Development of 5 nZEB tendering specifications
- Support to 40 new nZEB initiatives
- Development of 5 capacity building events
- Development of 60 training events
- Participation in 8 international conferences
- To increase nZEB awareness of more than 100.000 school users and citizens
Led by Fundació Privada ASCAMM (Barcelona, Spain), the consortium is formed by 10 partners from four Mediterranean countries (Greece, Italy, France and Spain) and it balances the active participation of 1 university, 1 technology centre, 1 energy agency, 3 SMEs and 4 public authorities.
Several Technical Committee meetings, attended by internationally renowned experts in the field, are scheduled within ZEMedS framework with the purpose of sharing knowledge and experiences on the latest European trends in nZEB.