Specialized in energy and environmental optimization of buildings, Izuba Energies develops and disseminates tools for the energy transition (studies, software, training). To cope with the development of its business, the company decided to build its headquarters and offices near Montpellier, on Ecoparc Fabrègues. This building reflects the goals of IZUBA Energies since its creation in 2001: a "negawatt" energy approach with its 3 components (simplicity, efficiency and renewable energy), coupled with a comprehensive approach integrating hygrothermal comfort, gray energy components, user behavior, waste management, indoor air quality, the transport of employees... the realization of the Izuba Energies building embodies an exemplary achievement of its business plan and its expertise.
The goal was to build a positive energy building, using local bio-based materials, to reduce environmental impacts. Architectural description : The architectural design, voluntarily sober, was based on bioclimatic principles: the building must adapt better to the Mediterranean climate to ensure occupant comfort.
In winter heating requirements are reduced to a minimum:
• The building has a simple shape and a good compactness, to limit loss surfaces.
• The main facade south favors solar gain in offices, the majority on this orientation. Storage facilities and service are positioned buffer space to the north.
• The choice of timber frame insulated with straw provides a very high level of insulation of the walls.
In summer, the envelope limit overheating by adopting the following principles:
• The building is equipped with fixed and mobile solar protection blocking direct sunlight while allowing solar gain in winter.
• The thermal inertia, rather light wood frame is reinforced by interior partitions earth-straw and mud brick.
• A natural night ventilation is made possible by the opening of swinging woodwork on two opposite sides of the building and glass transoms facing traffic. Circulations are lighted and ventilated by office doors and exterior doors at the end of the corridor, all glass and equipped with overhead transomsSpecialized in energy and environmental optimization of buildings, Izuba Energies develops and disseminates tools for the energy transition (studies, software, training). To cope with the development of its business, the company decided to build (...)