Practices

The Commission is in the process of updating some of the content on this website in light of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. If the site contains content that does not yet reflect the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, it is unintentional and will be addressed.

Energy Efficiency in Ireland | 2016 Report

Share this Post:

This report, released by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI), focuses exclusively on energy efficiency in Ireland, with the aim to provide timely and comprehensive data on energy efficiency and intensity to serve as context and background to discussions on future policy options. It may also provide the basis for reporting progress on energy efficiency towards meeting Irish and European targets.

 

The report is structured as follows:

 

  1. Introduction;
  2. Economic and energy efficiency context;
  3. Energy efficiency in buildings;
  4. Energy efficiency in transport;
  5. Energy efficiency in industry.

 

In respect to energy efficiency in buildings, key findings of the report include:

 

  • In 2014, buildings accounted for 35% of total final energy consumption and 59% of electricity consumption;
  • Oil was the single largest fuel source, accounting for 34% of total residential fuel consumption in 2014;
  • Between 2000 and 2006, energy intensity of residential buildings remained relatively constant. From 2007 the average unit consumption declined year on year to an ‘average’ consumption of 17.9 MWh of energy per dwelling comprising 75% in the form of direct fuels and the remaining 25% as electricity;
  • The main driver behind the overall reduction in household energy intensity since 2006 was the decline in fuel consumption to 73% of the 2000 value. Electricity use per dwelling has declined steadily since 2010 to 11% below the 2000 value;
  • From 2000 to 2012 the strongest factor driving growth in residential sector energy use was the increase in the number of dwellings followed by the increase in the average floor area. An improvement in energy efficiency and behavioural effects (occupants reducing comfort levels and fuel expenditure) countered these influences;
  • Energy efficiency in the residential sector improved by 34.7% between 2000 and 2014 due to the improvement in space heating as well as the increase in new buildings built to higher standards since 2000 and also the uptake of retrofit schemes since 2005.

 

To access the full report please visit SEAI's webpage here.