This document is the companion to the Joint Research Centre (JRC) report Introduction to Level(s) and how it works, which provides the first two parts of the guidance on how to use Level(s), a common EU framework of core indicators for the sustainability of office and residential buildings. In Part 1 a general introduction to Level(s) is provided; Part 2 includes an overview of the macro-objectives, performance indicators and the three Levels of performance assessment, which are the following:
- Level 1: Common performance assessment
- Level 2: Comparative performance assessment
- Level 3: Performance optimisation assessment
This document (Part 3) provides a complete set of technical guidance on how to make performance assessments at each of the three different Levels, and then to report on the results. It provides and analyses a specific approach to performance assessment and reporting, which consists of the following steps:
- Define the building to be reported on
- Choose the level of performance assessment
- Follow the guidance and rules on how to carry out an assessment
- Complete the reporting format
- Determine the valuation influence and reliability of the assessment
As the Level(s) framework seeks to address the life cycle environmental impacts of buildings in an integrated way, this report also provides the Overarching assessment tool to make Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) more accessible to new users. Guidance is provided on how to define the scope, boundaries, functional equivalent, time-related characteristics and scenarios required to carry out an LCA. Data quality is also addressed.
To download the document, please visit the relevant European Commission webpage at the link below.