To reduce emissions by at least 55% in 2030 and build the foundations for a climate neutral Europe by 2050, the Renovation Wave aims to renovate 35 million inefficient buildings by 2030.
85-95% of buildings in the EU are expected to still be standing in 2050. Renovating them is essential to reducing emissions and energy use.
As announced by President von der Leyen, the New European Bauhaus will match style with sustainability. It will promote sustainable design and nature-based materials.
Cutting emissions, boosting recovery, reducing energy poverty
- A response to energy poverty which will bring down bills for citizens
- Creation of 160,000 green jobs in the construction sector by 2030
- Reduced emissions and energy use to support climate targets
- Improved quality of life, health and well-being for residents
- Decarbonised, digitalised and smarter homes
- Affordable sustainable design through a New European Bauhaus