The EU-China Mayors’ Forum, to be held on 19 and 20 September 2012 with the participation of PM Wen and President Barroso is the first annual flagship event of the EU-China Urbanisation Partnership. It will get together EU and Chinese Mayors, local decision-makers, city planners, business and NGOs willing to share experience in moving towards sustainable, integrated and efficient solutions.
The Mayors’ Forum shall contribute to the partnership by:
- Facilitating the exchange of experiences and peer-to-peer co-operation among Mayors;
- Fostering the development of new actions, exploiting commonalities concerning urban methodologies and helping local companies to develop business initiatives related to urbanisation;
- Supporting Mayors to lead and pursue action;
- Providing practical feedback to the EU and Chinese Governments on needs and opportunities;
- Becoming a highly visible initiative that strengthens support to the partnership and attracts other parties to contribute.
The EU-China Mayors’ Forum includes a wide range of cross-sector activities and a multi-player involvement, open to all relevant actors. DG ENER of the Commission, supported by the Covenant of Mayors, from the European side, and the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (MoHURD) supported by the Chinese Association of Mayors, from the Chinese side, were appointed to be in charge of the shared coordination of the Mayors' Forum.
The EU-China Urbanisation Partnership is a new political co-operation initiative devised at the top level by China and the EU and launched at the occasion of the 7th China-EU Summit: It aims to jointly address the urbanisation challenges in China through cooperative efforts between stakeholders at national, regional and local levels.
For more information concerning the programme of the Forum please click here.