This project is funded by the European Union.
Mitigation Enabling Energy Transition in the Mediterranean region (meetMED)
The Mitigation Enabling Energy Transition in the Mediterranean region (meetMED) project is a two-years EU-funded project, developed by the Mediterranean Association of the National Agencies for Energy Management (MEDENER) and the Regional Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) to support regional cooperation and build technical capacity for energy transition in Southern and Eastern Mediterranean (SEM) countries.
meetMED has been officially launched in May 2018 at the headquarters of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) in Barcelona, Spain. Its main goal is to foster energy transition in the SEM countries, by enhancing the share of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) and Energy Efficiency (EE) in their energy mix.
The meetMED secretariat is coordinating the implementation of the project, which articulates in four workstreams: 1) assessing EE and RES strategies and policies; 2) advancing vocational training and public awareness; 3) attracting sustainable investments in RES and EE; 4) supporting the UfM Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Platform.
MeetMED Regional Expert Network
The Regional Expert Network (meetMED REN) gathers energy experts from energy governmental agencies and departments of 13 Mediterranean countries.
The meetMED REN experts work together to achieve a twofold end: on the one side, strengthening and multiplying technical expertise to support the national governments to implement EE and RE policies and measures; on the other side, creating regional tools, such as regulatory and monitoring ones, in order to overcome bottlenecks, which might hamper the transition to cleaner energy at the national level.
The meetMED REN experts are responsible for elaborating country policy papers and regional reports, which are discussed in regional workshops and, once published, made available on meetMED website.
The meetMED REN is a unique initiative with the potential for facilitating a faster energy transition in the Mediterranean region, inasmuch as it shares experiences, builds capacity and recommends national and regional solutions to accelerate the energy transition in the Mediterranean region. The REN is composed of four different regional task forces, focusing on: 1) EE and RE strategies and policies; 2) EE in buildings; 3) EE in appliances; 4) EE and RE monitoring indicators.
- MEDENER - MEDITERRANEAN ASSOCIATION OF THE NATIONAL AGENCIES FOR ENERGY MANAGEMENT
- RCREEE - REGIONAL CENTRE FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY
- ADEME - FRENCH ENVIRONMENT & ENERGY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
- ADENE - PORTUGUESE ENERGY AGENCY
- ALMEE - LEBANESE ASSOCIATION FOR ENERGY SAVING AND FOR ENVIRONMENT
- ANME - TUNISIAN NATIONAL AGENCY FOR ENERGY MANAGEMENT
- APRUE - ALGERIAN NATIONAL AGENCY FOR THE PROMOTION AND RATIONALISATION OF ENERGY USE
- CRES - GREEK CENTRE FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY SOURCES AND SAVING
- ENEA - ITALIAN NATIONAL AGENCY FOR NEW TECHNOLOGIES, ENERGY AND SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- IDAE - SPANISH E.P.E. INSTITUTE FOR THE DIVERSIFICATION AND SAVING OF ENERGY
- NERC - JORDANIAN NATIONAL ENERGY RESEARCH CENTER