Located between the Bank of England and St Paul’s Cathedral, Bloomberg’s new European headquarters occupies 3.2 acres and will provide approximately 1.1 million square feet of sustainable office space. Clad in traditional stone and bronze, the building is sympathetic to its context and will improve the surrounding public realm.
- Integrated Ceiling Panels: Bespoke integrated ceiling panels combine air supply, cooling, lighting and acoustic functions in an innovative petal-leaf design. The panels were prefabricated off-site to reduce construction site wastage.
- Water Conservation: Rainwater from the roof, cooling tower blow-down water, and grey water sources, like basins and showers, is captured, treated and recycled to serve vacuum flush toilets. These use net zero mains water for flushing.
- Breathing Building: When ambient weather conditions are temperate, the building’s bronze blades can open and close, allowing the building to operate in a “breathable” natural ventilation mode. Reducing dependency on mechanical ventilation and cooling equipment can significantly reduce energy consumption and provide future proofing.
- Smart Airflow: Smart CO2 sensing controls allow air to be distributed according to the approximate number of people occupying each zone of the building at any given time. The ability to dynamically adjust airflow in response to occupancy hours and patterns is expected to reduce CO2 emissions by approximately 300 metric tonnes each year.
- Combined Heat & Power: An on-site Combined Heat and Power (CHP) generation centre supplies heat and power in a single, efficient system with reduced carbon emissions. Waste heat generated from this process is recycled for cooling and heating and, in use, is expected to save 500-750 metric tonnes of CO2 each year.
- Sustainable Occupation: Bloomberg has been a zero-landfill operation in London since 2010; instead waste is recycled, composted or converted to energy.
- Scheme: BREEAM UK New Construction 2014
- Rating: Outstanding – Final Stage 99.1% (Design Stage 98.5%)
- Certificate No: BREEAM-0075-7229
- Size: 103,690 m2
- BREEAM Awards Winner 2019
- Client: Bloomberg L.P.
- Assessor: Sweco
- Contractor: Sir Robert McAlpine
- Project Manager: Stanhope plc
- Design: Fosters + Partners/Sweco/AKTII/SBA