This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No.887705
An innovative, thin and quick-to-install prefabricated ‘click-in’ underfloor heating system capable to be installed directly on the existing floor and connectable to the radiator system.
Innovative underfloor heating system to reduce energy consumption
Heating and cooling are responsible for half of the energy consumption in the EU, prompting the search for new methods to reduce negative impact on the economy and environment. Underfloor heating systems have emerged as a viable solution. However, their installation and maintenance require demolition works, architectural renovation and high costs. The EU-funded HEATILE project proposes a prefabricated, easy-to-install underfloor heating system, avoiding invasive demolition works, retrofitting expenses and architectural interventions. The system targets architects and contractors since it boosts productivity by reducing considerably the time of installation. It also targets building owners and residents since it can reduce installation costs and energy bills. The HEATILE solution also decreases energy consumption and, as a consequence, reduces carbon emissions.
Across the EU, there is a need to increase the energy efficiency of heating and cooling systems as 50% of all energy consumption across the EU is spent on heating and cooling. Underfloor heating systems can significantly contribute to this. However, currently, underfloor heating system have the following challenges:
- Require invasive demolition works that can take up to several months
- Lack leakage detection system
- Results in increased floor thickness
- Requires architectural changes
- Higher energy bills due to high thermal inertia
Heatile S.r.l has developed HEATILE, an innovative easy-to-install prefabricated underfloor heating system resolving the problem of invasive demolition works, high retrofitting costs, floor thickness and liveable heights and leakage detection. Our solution is simple to install in comparison to competitors’ products and does not require extensive labour. Our target users are the system installer (Architect, Designers and Contractors) and the end-Users, (Building Owners and Occupants). Our solution, provides the following:
- Boost in productivity for installers: The easy to install modular solution cuts installation time by more than 90% thereby allowing more jobs to be done.
- Reduction in installation costs for building owners: Installation costs are reduced by 15-25% as there is no need for demolition works during retrofitting.
- Reduction in energy bills: HEATILE is a low thermal inertia system, heating a home in only an hour instead of the 12hrs.
- Reduction in Carbon emissions: Our solution decreases household energy usage hence reducing CO2 emission.
By the 5th year of commercialisation, we expect to sell about 160,000sqm generating a cumulative revenue of €26.60-m and cumulative EBIT of €2.545-m creating 22 jobs.
- KEOKI COMPANY SA
Start date: 1/12/2019 - End date: 31/03/2020