The project was subdivided in four major fields of activities:
- Political Work on European Cohesion Programmes
- Pilot actions in eight selected target regions
- Development of funding and co-operation schemes
- Training and capacity building
Energy 4 Cohesion project demonstrated best practice in eight target regions by the design of Master Plans that aimed at the implementation of RE & RUE projects in selected regions. It identified the best funding mechanisms and elaborated suitable cooperation schemes. The regions were located in rural, remote and underdeveloped areas of Eastern and Southern Europe and more specifically in: Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Greece and Italy. They were selected for their large development potentials concerning innovative and RE actions.
- Joint Publication on decentralised energy actions within Structural and Cohesion Funds.
- Guidelines for planning RES and RUE actions within the European Cohesion Policies.
- Project website, newsletters, press articles.
- Strategy paper on innovative financing schemes for new RES and RUE projects in the framework of the European Cohesion Policies.
- Guidelines for bundling RE actions making them bankable and feasible for Structural and Cohesion Funds.
- Seminars on the potential of Cohesion Programmes for funding small scale RES and RUE actions.
- Eight comprehensive Master Plans for RE actions in selected regions of Southern and Eastern Europe. Elaboration in respect of the RE actions being feasible for funding in the Cohesion Policy Programmes beginning in 2007.
- Political Action Plan for decentralised energy actions in less favoured rural regions of Europe, that recommends measures for enhanced implementation of innovative energy measures within EC Cohesion Policies.