The main goal of the IRCOW project is to develop and validate upgraded technological solutions to achieve an efficient material recovery from C&D waste by considering a life cycle perspective.
To accomplish IRCOW objectives, the project is structured into 7 work packages and 5 in-field case studies. Three of the work packages focus on the development of new management schemes, separation technologies and products that are needed to significantly increase the reuse and recycling rates of C&W waste in the EU. The outcomes of the three technological work packages will be assessed and validated from an economic, environmental and toxicological point of view, by using both Life Cycle Assessment tools and case studies throughout Europe.
The involvement of industrial stakeholders (both industrial companies and associations from the construction and recycling sector), and national and regional authorities ensures the relevance and applicability of the project results. Moreover, the stakeholders will be involved in deriving recommendations for changes in policies aiming to remove obstacles in C&DW management.
- access to the advancements in knowledge on high grade material recovery from C&DW
- showcase of innovative C&DW sorting and processing alternatives validated under real conditions
- solutions for new C&DW services as well as development of new C&DW based high grade materials and products using eco-design principles
- participation in an open dialogue with IRCOW stakeholders through participation in workshops and conferences
- opportunity to contribute to the development of the EU policies aimed at fostering and efficient level of material recovery