This special feature section complements the International Energy Agency (IEA)’s annual Tracking Clean Energy Progress (TCEP) report containing information on public and private investment in research, development, and demonstration (RD&D). The document examines all the available public and private data on energy RD&D investment, including highlighting key trends, as well as a set of specific recommendations for governments and the private sector that take into account the complexities of the innovation process and its drivers.
The special section highlights that total innovation investment needs to pick up to fulfil its important role of achieving secure and sustainable energy systems and delivering economic growth and reducing air pollution.
Key recommendations for decision makers in governments and the private sector include:
- Collect better data on public- and private-sector RD&D spending
- Develop and track key performance indicators for priority technologies
- Increase further the level of collaboration and exchange on innovation policy
- Enhance communication of progress in technology innovation
- Conduct clean energy RD&D investment in concert with the other key elements of the innovation ecosystem
To download the section, please visit the relevant IEA webpage at the link provided below.