European Technology & Innovation Platforms (ETIPs) have been created by the European Commission in the framework of the new Integrated Roadmap Strategic Energy Technology Plan (SET Plan) by bringing together EU countries, industry, and researchers in key areas. They promote the market uptake of key energy technologies by pooling funding, skills, and research facilities.
The European Technology and Innovation Platform for Photovoltaics (ETIP PV) mobilizes all stakeholders sharing a long-term European vision for PV, helping to ensure that Europe maintains and improves its industrial position, in order to achieve a leadership position within the global PV market.
The focus of ETIP PV’s activities is on the opportunities and challenges facing the European photovoltaic sector. We make recommendations with a view to improving the competitiveness of the European PV industry, both the upstream segments (incl. feedstock supply, equipment manufacturing, cell and module production) and the downstream ones (incl. technical solutions for grid integration, market solutions for grid integration, installation).
ETIP PV gathers more than 200 experts covering the entire PV value chain.
- Contains a set of 6 technology-related priority activities for the future development of PV technologies and applications in Europe
- The 6 R&I activities reflect the prioritised strategic targets defined in the SET Plan Declaration of Intent on PV
- For each priority, ongoing R&I activities (conducted at national and/or at European level and/or by industry) have been identified which already support the strategic targets
- Was endorsed by the SET Plan Steering Group members in November 2017
The 6 R&I activities are:
- PV for BIPV and similar applications
- Technologies for silicon solar cells and modules with higher quality
- New technologies & materials
- Development of PV power plants and diagnostics
- Manufacturing technologies (for cSi and thin film)
- Cross-sectoral research at lower TRL