This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 768600
Utility Business Model Transformation through human-centric behavioural interventions and ICT tools for Energy Efficiency
Business as usual is no longer an option for energy utilities as they need to seek and benefit from new revenue sources in emerging energy-related businesses as well as to formulate new business models shift from traditional business to energy-related service oriented companies. This highlights the importance of real-time consumption feedback and its increased effect, when combined with peer comparison, personalised real-time notifications and intelligent controls, in achieving significantly high energy savings; behavioural change approach that relies on the yet unrevealed and unconscious drivers of human behaviour rather than the “rational man” assumption.
UtilitEE will provide a consumer-oriented universal behavioural change framework that focuses on the discovery, quantification and revelation of energy-hungry behaviours/activities and conveys meaningful energy-use feedback to users to motivate and engage them into a continuous process of learning and improvement. It is an innovative human-centric behaviour change framework based on scientific state of the art, along with standardised operational rating and certification methods, facilitated by an open and trustworthy ICT ecosystem integrated into the building through low-cost, off-the-shelf sensors.
It will be further complemented and enriched with light-weight, human-centric, automated control features that consider occupant thermal and visual comfort profiles and supportively control HVAC and lights so as to further minimise energy waste, while always keeping occupants within acceptable comfort boundaries and preserving a healthy and safe indoor environment.
The project will define, formulate and validate novel business models placing consumers at the heart of new services provided by utilities, the cleanweb community or other energy actors.The new business models that will be developed for utilities include:
EXTENDED “UTILITY AS AN ESCO”
- business model that will allow utilities to balance and hedge losses from energy savings (reduced energy sales) through a novel energy efficiency services portfolio on the basis of the UtilitEE Human-Centric Energy Behaviour Change Framework. The new service-oriented business model will build upon a baseline offering including energy use analytics and tailor-made guidance for improving energy behaviours and overall energy performance.his business model will offer an integrated and cost-effective service bundle that delivers both attractive (energy-relevant) payback periods as well as significant intangible (but still valuable) benefits to urban building environments (e.g. comfort, productivity, security, indoor air quality preservation, etc.).
“UTILITY AS AGGREGATOR”
- business model that will enable retailers/utilities to counterbalance losses from energy savings (less energy sold) by bidding consumer flexibility in energy markets (through accumulation/aggregation of their clientele’s demand flexibility). This business model will further benefit consumers through their participation in Implicit Demand Response Programmes, while allowing retailers to increase their revenues through the oxymoron of motivating their clients to consume less energy.
- OBJECTIVE 1: Enabling Significant Energy Savings through Sustainable and Persistent Energy Behaviour Change
- OBJECTIVE 2: Fostering Continuous Consumer Engagement through a User-Driven Energy Behaviour Change Framework that addresses consumers with Intuitive, Actionable Messages
- OBJECTIVE 3: Introducing Novel Utility Business Models and Roles enabling the deep transformation of current business-as-usual utility practices and enhancing their viability in evolving market conditions
- OBJECTIVE 4: Establish an Open Innovation Framework to Support Real-Life Pilot Deployment & Socio-Economic Evidence
- HYPERTECH (CHAIPERTEK) ANONYMOS VIOMICHANIKI EMPORIKI ETAIREIA PLIROFORIKIS KAI NEON TECHNOLOGION
- ETRA INVESTIGACION Y DESARROLLO SA
- SUITE5 DATA INTELLIGENCE SOLUTIONS LIMITED
- UNIVERSITAT BASEL
- SOLINTEL M&P SL
- VAASAETT LTD AB OY
- MYTILINAIOS ANONIMI ETAIREIA
- SOREA SOCIETE DES REGIES DE L'ARC
- TAURON POLSKA ENERGIA SA
- SWT ANSTALT DES OFFENTLICHEN RECHTSDER STADT TRIER
- MY ENERGIA ONER SL
- SUITE5 DATA INTELLIGENCE SOLUTIONS LIMITED
Start date: 01/11/2017 - End date: 31/10/2020