This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement N° 637186.
Breakthrough solutions for adaptable envelopes for building refurbishment
BRESAER will design, develop and demonstrate an innovative, cost-effective, adaptable and industrialized envelope system for building refurbishment. This system will include combined active and passive pre-fabricated solutions integrated into a versatile lightweight structural mesh.
The innovative solutions developed by the project include:
- Structural metallic profiles to achieve a standardized constructive system configurable, easy to assemble and able to support different envelope components. Such components will be fixed to the profiles with a common standardised solution allowing easy and fast installation as well as removal in case of maintenance or replacement.
- Multifunctional and multilayer insulation panels made of Ultra High Performance Fibre Reinforced Concrete used as rigid shells for building envelope applications. Thanks to an enhanced manufacturing process they will provide insulating capacity, lightness and ease of anchoring. These can be combined with several finishes providing different functionalities: e.g. integrated PV, thermo-reflective and self-cleaning properties.
- Combined solar thermal air and PV envelope component for indoor space heating and ventilation, thermal insulation and electricity generation. A PV film can be integrated on the air solar thermal envelop panel whilst preheated air can be used for indoor space heating and dehumidification.
- Multifunctional lightweight ventilated façade module, with integrated photovoltaic system for electricity generation, and thermo-reflective and self-cleaning coating.
- Dynamic windows with automated and controlled air-tightness and insulated solar blinds. They complement energy saving and visual comfort strategies: solar blinds can automatically adjust according to the position of the sun and occupant’s comfort.
Total (primary) energy consumption reduction by a factor 2 to 4 compared to the values registered before the installation of the adaptable envelope
The primary energy consumption reduction will come from the integration of all the components into the BRESAER envelope solution. Through the implementation of the BRESAER system, we expect to record a reduction by at least 60% of the total primary building’s energy consumption and a consumption of less than 60 kWh/m²
Improved indoor environment
The BRESAER system will improve indoor environment quality by increasing thermal, acoustics, lighting comfort and air quality (IAQ).
Demonstration of the replicability potential in a real case-study
The BRESAER solution will be demonstrated in a lecture building in Burgos, Spain. The building is owned by Universidad de Burgos, who is also involved in the project as partner.
Provide solutions with a return on investment below 7 years
The payback generated by the BRESAER system will be based on energy saving simulations taking into account future expectations on market prices as well as the cost of the BRESAER envelope elements. Additionally, envelope refurbishment solutions such as BRESAER improve the quality of the building (comfort, aesthetics) and its life expectancy, as well as property price.
Validation and market uptake of active building elements
Besides being validated in a real building in Spain, the BRESAER system will be tested in 4 additional virtual demo sites. Such virtual demo sites are based on buildings existing in 4 different European climate zones (Romania, Estonia, Norway and Turkey) with different building use. According to our estimates, paybacks of about 7 years are expected in these countries and – by extension – in the rest of Europe.
- ACCIONA CONSTRUCCION SA
- ASOCIACION ESPANOLA DE NORMALIZACION
- FUNDACIO EURECAT
- FUNDACIO PRIVADA ASCAMM
- FUNDACION CARTIF
- EKODENGE MUHENDISLIK MIMARLIK DANISMANLIK TICARET ANONIM SIRKETI
- EMI EPITESUGYI MINOSEGELLENORZO INNOVACIOS NONPROFIT KFT
- MONDRAGON CORPORACION COOPERATIVA SCOOP
- NANOPHOS ANONIMI EMPORIKI ETAIRIA ANAPTIXIS KAI YPIRESION - NANOPHOS COMMERCIAL SOCIETE ANONYME OF SERVICES AND DEVELOPMENT
- NATIONAL MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
- NEDERLANDSE ORGANISATIE VOOR TOEGEPAST NATUURWETENSCHAPPELIJK ONDERZOEK TNO
- SOLARWALL EFFICIENT ENERGY SL
- STAMTECH SRL
- TECHNION - ISRAEL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
- DOWEL MANAGEMENT
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION
- STAM SRL
- VEOLIA SERVICIOS LECAM SOCIEDAD ANONIMA UNIPERSONAL
- UNIVERSIDAD DE BURGOS
Start date: 1/02/2015 - End date: 31/07/2019