This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No.723596
Innova MicroSolar (Innovative Micro Solar Heat and Power System for Domestic and Small Business Residential Buildings) is a research and innovation project funded by the European Commission under the HORIZON 2020 Framework Programme. The aim of the Innova MicroSolar project is to enhance application of Solar Thermal Energy in domestic and small business sectors for power and heat production.
The overall objective of this project proposal is to develop an innovative high performance and cost-effective 2-kWel/18-kWth solar heat and power system for application in individual dwellings and small business residential buildings for on-site electricity and heat generation using solar thermal energy at modest temperatures of 250-280 degrees Centigrade.
The proposed technology is built around a novel flat Fresnel mirror solar concentrating collector and micro Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) plant combined with advanced Phase Change Material (PCM) thermal storage equipped with reversible heat pipes for rapid charging and discharging.
The whole system will be integrated with domestic boiler hot water and space heating system and will be laboratory tested and undergo field tests on the demonstration site.
During project activities the innovative domestic solar heating and power system will be validated (TRL 5) and demonstrated (TRL 6) in relevant environments in field tests. The operational characteristics of the whole new solar heating and power system will be demonstrated during a period covering winter and summer seasons.
The project will utilise the extensive expertise and knowledge, including proprietary IP, of the participants, accumulated over several decades across various disciplines, especially of:
- Enogia (France) in the development of small and micro scale Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) plants specifically adapted for application with solar energy;
- Elianto SRL (Italy) in the development and manufacturing of highly efficient solar concentrating collectors using linear Fresnel mirrors and its control units;
- Thermacore Europe (UK) in the development of advanced heat pipe technologies for thermal management of engineering systems;
- Strategie (Italy) in the development of engineering smart control units for integration of solar thermal and boiler systems;
- Sinagro Enginyeria (Spain) in integration of renewable heating and power technologies in buildings;
- User Feedback Program (Spain) in analysis and predictions of socio-economic impact and commercialisation of new renewable energy products;
- University of Lleida (Spain) in the R & D of high performance Thermal Energy Storage systems on the basis of Phase Change Materials;
- Università eCampus (Italy) in the R & D of CSP systems based on linear Fresnel mirrors;
- Northumbria University (UK) in R & D and optimisation of complex renewable energy and fossil fuel systems. Additionally, Northumbria University has experience in the development of new PCM compounds with expandable graphite; in the development of CHP systems and in complex multi-physics modelling of devices and plants for heat and mass transfer and energy conversion.
The project will exploit in depth the added value from involvement of the above listed SMEs: their high standing in their respective fields, agility in the development and commercialization of new products together with their business acumen. In turn, these SMEs gain the added value in the project in terms of expanding their business which would lead to significant increase in financial turnover and employees.
This is also due to the fact that separate components to be developed by SMEs in this project can be easily used for another applications and find additional routes to the market. Thus, micro scale ORC of Enogia will be in demand in the automotive industry for utilization of exhaust gases of internal combustion engines; reversible heat pipes can be used in thermal management of numerous engineering products; the new PCM compound with enhanced thermal properties can be used in building and chemical industries for thermal management and heat recycling; solar Fresnel mirror concentrating collector with reduced dimensions can find application in industrial solar heating, power and cold production, etc.
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHUMBRIA AT NEWCASTLE
- UNIVERSIDAD DE LLEIDA
- UNIVERSITA TELEMATICA E-CAMPUS
- AAVID THERMACORE EUROPE LIMITED
- ELIANTO SRL
- S.TRA.TE.G.I.E. SRL
- E3G INGENIERIA Y ENERGIA, SOCIEDADLIMITADA
- USER FEEDBACK PROGRAM SL
Start date: 1/09/2016 - End date: 31/08/2020