This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 814945
Solar-Biomass Reversible energy system for covering a large share of energy needs in buildings
Renewable energy system integrated at the building scale
The SolBio-Rev project concept is to develop a configuration based on renewables that allows covering all heating and cooling demand and a variable electricity demand (from zero up to even 100%) in a cost-effective manner. This configuration is based on solar, ambient and bioenergy, while it is suitable to be installed in various buildings types and sizes without any geographical restriction. Read more.
The core objective of the SolBio-Rev project is to combine promising renewable energy technologies based on solar, ambient and bioenergy, having at the core an innovative heat pump-based configuration and to allow the efficient application of this solution, without any geographical restriction at least in the EU. Read more.
The very high energy share of the SolBio-Rev solution results to a reduction of the dependence on fossil fuels by up to 70%, thus aiding on EU energy security of supply, for: (1) heating with gas commonly used in EU, with boiler efficiency of 90%, (2) cooling with standard electrical chillers or air-conditioners with an average COP of 2.5, and (3) electricity needs from gas-fired power plants, with a typical thermal efficiency of 40%, including transmission and conversion losses.
SolBio-Rev ambitions at various levels. Overall:
- Reach compact solutions that can be integrated in new or existing buildings of different types.
- Potential to reach similar system cost compared to other renewable energy systems in buildings, but with higher energy savings and a shorter PBP.
- Optimised system design and sizing for achieving a very high energy share up to 85% all over Europe.
- NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS - NTUA
- FRIEDRICH-ALEXANDER-UNIVERSITAET ERLANGEN NUERNBERG
- FAHRENHEIT GMBH
- CONSIGLIO NAZIONALE DELLE RICERCHE
- T.E.A.V.E LTD
- AKOTEC PRODUKTIONSGESELLSCHAFT MBH
- UNIVERSIDAD DE LLEIDA
- DAIKIN AIRCONDITIONING HELLAS SA
- THE UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX
- DBC EUROPE
- TECHLINK ASBL
- KARLSRUHER INSTITUT FUER TECHNOLOGIE
- OKOFEN FORSCHUNGS-UND ENTWICKLUNGSG
- STRABAG BELGIUM
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI MESSINA
Start date: 1/05/2019 - End date: 30/04/2023