This website has been developed in the frame of the INTENSYS4EU project co-funded under the Horizon 2020 Programme.
European Technology & Innovation Platforms (ETIPs) have been created by the European Commission in the framework of the new Integrated Roadmap Strategic Energy Technology Plan (SET Plan) by bringing together a multitude of stakeholders and experts from the energy sector.
The ETIP Smart Networks for Energy Transition (SNET) role is to guide Research, Development & Innovation (RD&I) to support Europe’s energy transition, more specifically, its mission is to:
- Set-out a vision for RD&I for Smart Networks for Energy Transition and engage stakeholders in this vision.
- Prepare and update the Strategic Research and Innovation Roadmap.
- Report on the implementation of RD&I activities at European, national/regional and industrial levels.
- Provide input to the SET Plan action 4 which addresses the technical challenges raised by the transformation of the energy system.
- Identify innovation barriers, notably related to regulation and financing.
- Develop enhanced knowledge-sharing mechanisms that help bring RD&I results to deployment.
- Prepare consolidated stakeholder views on Research and Innovation to European Energy Policy initiatives.
Europe’s energy challenge
The EU’s Energy Union strategy is built on 5 dimensions:
- Security, solidarity and trust
- The full integration of the internal energy market
- Energy efficiency
- Climate action – decarbonising the economy
- Research, innovation and competitiveness
Europe’s energy transition is key to the European and global goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and keeping global temperature increases below 2°C. To ensure this, more renewable and other carbon-neutral energy sources will be introduced into Europe’s electricity, heating and cooling, and transport systems.
The energy networks, especially stronger and smarter electricity grids interfaced with heating, gas and transport networks, play a key role in the energy transition while supporting security of supply and affordability.
ETIP SNET aims to make sure Europe’s Research and Innovation facilitates all energy customers and market actors to rely on optimally integrated networks, systems and markets.