Member States may exclude the following types of buildings from certification (Article 4):
- "buildings and monuments officially protected as part of a designated environment or because of their special architectural or historic merit, where compliance with the requirements
- would unacceptably alter their character or appearance,
- buildings used as places of worship and for religious activities,
- temporary buildings with a planned time of use of two years or less, industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand and non residential agricultural buildings which are in use by a sector covered by a national sectoral agreement on energy performance,
- residential buildings which are intended to be used less than four months of the year,
- stand-alone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50 m2."
Author: JC VISIER (CSTB)