Which properties in England and Wales do not require a HIP or Domestic Energy Assessment?

Share this Post:

A HIP (Home Information Pack) will be required whenever a house in England & Wales is put on the market. From 1st August 2007 a HIP is required for marketed homes with 4 bedrooms or more, and from 10th September 2007 this will be extended to homes with 3 bedrooms or more. For further details go to the HIP website at www.homeinformationpacks.gov.uk.

The HIP should contain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which is produced by a Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA). Further information on EPCs can be found at: www.homeinformationpacks.gov.uk/consumer/2_Energy_Performance_Certificates_and_your_home.html.

EPCs will also be required for homes sold without marketing for sale (e.g. by private treaty between family members or Local Authority housing) will require an EPC from 1st October 2008. Also, rented homes will require an EPC on rent from 1 October 2008.

Author: Richard HARTLESS (BRE)
Date:   29/11/07